The castle of Monteriggioni was built by the Sienese population under the order of the Podestà Guelfo da Porcari between 1214 and 1219. The place was the location of an ancient Longobard farm (and was apparently protected by the emperor and free of taxes, according to the name, Montis Regis)
The castle was built by Siena in order to protect itself from Florence, and also Dante Alighieri in his Commedy reminds us of the walls of Monteriggioni.
The hamlet is still perfectly preserved, maintaining the ancient walls and interesting cafes and restaurants.
In Summer it is a scenario for one of the most important medieval festivals of Tuscany, and it became part of the Via Francigena for its historical features.