Max

18 April 2019

No Comments

Home Art and History

Synagogue of Siena

Synagogue of Siena

The Synagogue of Siena was designed by the architect Giuseppe del Rosso in 1786 and was built in 1786 in neoclassical style. It is located in Siena, vicolo delle Scotte, in the square formerly called “piazzetta del Tempio”. As the typical synagogues of the ghetto, the façade has no particular external decorations, but it is internally well decorated in neoclassical and rococo style. Originally the fountain with Moses pointing out at the water, by Jacopo della Quercia, was there and it was removed in 1875 when Polish Jews complained that it was against the law of representing images. Now this statue is inside the Museum of the Town Hall.

You can admire its splendid architecture and the value of the silver and fabric collection, with pieces of Guadagni (Florence) and rich fabrics called “the Indian collection”.

Saturday closed to the public. For any information:

sinagoga.siena@coopculture.it

Tel: +39 0577 27 13 45